How to Obtain a Police Report in Washington State

Police officer in reflective vest using a computer, showcasing the process of obtaining a police report in Washington State.

Washington State requires a police report – or “collision report” – after any car accident that causes bodily injury or at least $1,000 worth of property damage. This means any two-vehicle car crash should be reported. If a law enforcement officer responds to the accident, they will typically provide each driver with the other driver’s registration and insurance information and file a crash report. If the officer believes the $1,000 damage threshold was not met, they will direct each driver to complete a citizen report.

Once the collision report has been filed, you should get a copy if you plan to file an insurance claim. You can file a car insurance claim without a police report, but insurance companies rely on collision reports as a factual and impartial account of how the accident occurred and who was involved. A police report provides a variety of information the insurer will seek as they process an accident claim. The lack of evidence will delay your claim and could lead to the insurer denying you compensation.

The Washington State Patrol is the custodian of all collision reports within the State of Washington. Here are three ways to obtain a police report after a car accident in Washington:

1- Get a Police Report Online

You can search for a collision report online. You can use the WRECR (Washington Requests for Electronic Collision Reports) site to obtain a copy of the collision report filed about your car accident. There is no fee to search online for a report. Ordering a copy costs $10.50 per report.

The portal allows you to search with your name and the collision date or a range of dates. For the best results, enter only your last name and the date of the collision to start the search. When the search results appear, look for your full name and the location of the accident and make sure all information is correct. Alternatively, you can search with the collision report number.

You can also contact the WSP via:

  • Phone: (360) 570-2355. However, the office does not give out collision information over the phone.
  • Email:

2- Get a Police Report by Mail

To get a collision report through the mail from the WSP:

  1. Complete the entire Request for Copy of Collision Report Form.
  2. Prepare a check or money order for $10.50 payable to the Washington State Patrol.
  3. Mail both to:

Washington State Patrol
Collision Records Section
P.O. Box 42628
Olympia, WA 98504-2628

3- Get a Police Report In Person

If you want to go in person to get a collision report from the Washington State Patrol, you must go to:

Collision Records Section
Edna Lucile Goodrich Building
7345 Linderson Way SW, first floor
Tumwater, WA 98501

The office is open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, except legally designated holidays. There is a kiosk in the lobby for searching and ordering your collision report. The report costs $10.50. Collision Records staff can help you if you need assistance.

Timeline for Obtaining a Collision Report

Officers completing collision reports have two to four weeks to complete their investigation and have their report approved by their supervisor. The Washington State Patrol says reports are typically available much sooner, but that is the guideline.

If the report has not appeared in the system within four weeks, you should contact the law enforcement agency that responded to the scene of the motor vehicle accident.

Get Legal Help From an Experienced Yakima Car Accident Attorney Near You

The experienced personal injury attorneys at Mariano Morales Law can gather evidence about the car accident that injured you and demand maximum compensation from the at-fault driver and the auto insurance company that is financially liable to you. The claims process starts with the collision report filed by the law enforcement officer who responded to the accident that injured you.

Our Yakima personal injury lawyers will prepare your personal injury case while you receive medical treatment and focus on reaching maximum medical improvement. Our investigations begin with reviewing the collision report and meeting with you to discuss the details of the accident. If you have the collision report when we meet for you, that puts us a step ahead. If you do not have it, don’t worry. Our personal injury lawyers can get a copy.

Our law firm has more than 30 years of experience handling complex car accident claims for accident victims in Yakima and throughout Washington State. Our personal injury attorneys will handle every aspect of your auto accident case as part of the no-hassle, client-focused services we provide.

Call us at (509) 853-2222, send us a live chat message, or fill out our contact form online to set up your free case evaluation. If you engage us as your car accident attorneys, we won’t charge a legal fee from you unless we recover financial compensation for you.