Questions and Answers


What kind of cases do you take?

The Mariano Morales Law works exclusively on personal injury law in the Yakima Valley, Washington, area. We take cases where someone has been killed or seriously injured in an accident that was someone else’s fault. Some areas of personal injury law that our firm focuses on are:

  • Auto Accidents
  • Tractor-Trailer Accidents
  • Wrongful Death
  • Traumatic Brain Injuries
  • Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect.

Am I going to be charged each time we meet?

No. Your initial consultation with us is free of charge. And we only charge once we have a settlement offer or court decision. If we do not get you a settlement, you do not pay any attorneys’ fees.

Why should I hire a lawyer?

A lawyer experienced in Washington personal injury law knows how to effectively handle insurance companies, which are always looking for ways to minimize the amount they pay out on claims. An experienced attorney knows what documents and evidence are needed to prove your case and obtain an appropriate monetary settlement or verdict for your damages. Hiring the Mariano Morales Law allows you to focus on what’s most important – getting healthy again – while the lawyer focuses on the details of your legal case.

What geographic areas do you serve?

We serve primarily individuals and families who live in Yakima County, the Tri-Cities (Richland, Kennewick and Pasco), Wenatchee, Grant County and Chelan County, but we also represent individuals and families across Washington State.

What happens if my case does not settle?

If the insurance company does not make an offer that is acceptable to you, you can file a personal injury lawsuit against the individuals and companies that caused your injuries.

Who will pay my bills?

In the cases we handle, if you carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Coverage, your car insurance policy will pay your bills up to your policy limits. We pay them back once we settle with the at-fault party’s insurance company. If you have health insurance, again, your health insurance can pay the bills until we settle with the at-fault party. The reason we use your insurance coverages to pay your bills initially is because in Washington, the at-fault party’s insurance company does not legally have to pay your bills until you sign a release to close your claim. If you do not have PIP or health insurance, the at-fault party’s insurance company will pay your bills once we settle the case or win in court. Many health care providers will wait until we settle your case to receive payment if we are representing you.

What damages am I entitled to under the law?

Each case is different, but generally a person who has been harmed because of someone else’s fault is entitled to monetary recovery for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, disfigurement and disability as well as out-of-pocket expenses such as medical bills, damages to property (e.g., your car if you are in motor vehicle accident, including car rental charges and towing bill). If relevant to your case, you might also be entitled to lost wages, loss of future earning capacity, and loss of companionship of a loved one.

Do you win most of your cases?

Every case is different but Mariano Morales Law has successfully handled thousands of cases. A sampling of notable wins we have obtained on behalf of clients is described here.

What happens to the case if something happens to me?

If you should die or become incapacitated, your spouse or a close relative will be appointed as your personal representative and your case will proceed for the benefit of your immediate family.

What happens if I settle my claim too soon?

A settlement of your case is final and you are barred from asking for more damages related to the accident that caused your injuries. When a particular case should settle depends on the circumstances of that case, and we are extremely careful in advising clients on when to settle.

When should I go to the doctor?

You should see your doctor as soon as you feel physical pain, restriction or discomfort.

What causes car wrecks?

Car accidents occur for any number of reasons, such as tailgating, inattention by a driver, running stop signs or lights, reckless driving, or speeding. The legal test for negligence is whether the other driver exercised reasonable caution under the circumstances.

What causes accidents involving tractor-trailers?

The reasons for tractor-trailer accidents vary, and include truck driver fatigue, speeding and tailgating. Additional reasons can be found at Top Ten Reasons for tractor-trailer accidents.

What is a wrongful death lawsuit?

A wrongful death lawsuit is pursued by surviving immediate family members, such as a spouse, children or parents. A wrongful death claim is when a person died because of the negligent actions of another person or company. The surviving family members are entitled to monetary damages for the loss of future earnings by the deceased individual, pain and suffering damages associated with the loss of a loved one, as well as medical bills and burial expenses.

To find more answers to your questions watch our videos.

Contact Our Yakima Valley Accident and Injury Lawyers Today

To speak with our attorneys or staff, call us toll free at (509) 853-2222, or use our online contact form. Your initial consultation is free of charge. We don’t get paid until there’s a settlement or favorable verdict. We serve Central Washington residents of Yakima County, Tri-Cities (Richland, Pasco and Kennewick), Wenatchee, Grant County and Chelan County.