Who is Responsible for a Slip-and-Fall Accident?

As if to keep everyone from getting bored, winter weather in the Yakima Valley area is unpredictable. Rain can turn quickly to ice and snow. Slip-and-fall accidents, which can cause traumatic injuries, are among our winter hazards. They include not just slips but accidents in which a victim trips, slides, stumble or is knocked down. An injured victim may be entitled to compensation from a negligent party.

Causes of Slips and Falls

Common scenarios that lead to traumatic injuries in a slip-and-fall accident include:

  • Liquids left on a store floor
  • Boxes left in an aisle
  • Poor lighting
  • Improper maintenance or poorly designed steps or walkways
  • Ice or snow left on sidewalks or walkways

Not only does ice or snow left on a sidewalk present an obvious risk, but ice and snow that are tracked into a store, restaurant or hotel can melt and form puddles, creating a slip-and-fall hazard. A person who falls can suffer traumatic head, neck, back or spine injuries.

Premises Liability Law

Each slip- and-fall injury case is unique. An experienced personal injury attorney in the Yakima Valley area can tell you whether someone else can be held legally responsible for your injuries. In general, slip- and-fall accidents are covered by premises liability law. A property owner or tenant who invites you onto the property with the intention of profiting from your presence owes you a duty to do everything reasonable to keep the property free from hazards and dangers. When a property owner fails to fulfill this duty and injuries result, the property owner may be held responsible.

If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a Yakima Valley area slip-and-fall accident, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries or your loss. The Yakima Valley traumatic injury attorneys at Mariano Morales Law can help you get through the legal process and make sure that the party responsible for your loss is held accountable. Call (509) 853-2222 or use our online contact form for your free initial consultation.