Anyone who lives in the Yakima Valley area knows how the weather here can change over the course of a year, from summertime extremes that reach into the 90s to wintertime lows that hover near zero. As we approach the end of autumn, Yakima Valley residents should be preparing for the changing road conditions that come with winter in the State of Washington.
Although a Washington winter can produce breath-taking mountain views, it can wreak havoc on motorists. The following tips will help you prepare your vehicle for the upcoming winter:
- Battery change — Have a shop test your battery. Winter is hard on a battery. You may want to purchase a battery with higher cold cranking amps to ensure that your car starts on the coldest days.
- Oil change — Make sure the viscosity, or thickness, of the oil is appropriate for winter.
- New wipers — In sleet, rain and snow, your wipers could be critical to being able to see a road hazard. In essence, they could save your life.
- Check tires — Make sure your tires have the proper pressure. Tires expand in the summer and contract in the winter, meaning your tires may be underinflated. You may also wish to consider snow tires.
- Check anti-freeze — In the winter your water-to-anti-freeze mix should usually be 50/50 to prevent freezing.
- Check four-wheel drive — If you own a four-wheel-drive vehicle, have the system checked out before winter hits. The ability to put your vehicle into four-wheel drive can be helpful in the snow.
Planning won’t ensure that you will never be involved in a car accident or become stranded as a result of the winter weather. You should have an emergency kit that includes at least the following items:
- Extra clothes/boots/socks
- Flares/hazard triangles
- Jumper cables
- Tool kit
- First aid kit
- Small shovel
- Water and food
If despite all of your precautions, you become the victim of an accident in the Yakima Valley area, you should seek the advice of an experienced Yakima Valley car accident attorney as soon as possible. If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a car accident, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries or your loss. The car accident attorneys at Mariano Morales Law can help you get through the legal process and make sure that the party responsible for your injuries or loss is held accountable. Contact the team today by calling (509) 853-2222 or by using our online contact form for your free initial consultation.